COVID-19 Diagnostic Unit
The COVID-19 unit is licensed by the health regulatory authority (ERS) to provide laboratory healthcare services within the scope of clinical analyzes, being registered with the number E150638. The laboratory is prepared for the molecular diagnosis of respiratory viruses, such as common influenza viruses – Influenza A Virus, Influenza B Virus and Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV) as well as the new SARS virus variant, SARS-CoV-2. The laboratory is also prepared to carry out immunoassays, such as the quantification of immunoglobulins G (IgG) against the SARS-CoV-2 virus. The unit has been part of the national network of laboratories COVID-19 since July 13, 2020, when it received a positive opinion from the National Institute of Health Dr. Ricardo Jorge (INSA).
- Clinical director – Ruben Fernandes
- Executive manager – Pilar Baylina
- Technical Director – Fernanda Duarte
- Technical Coordinator – Carla Guedes
- Scientific Advisor – Patrick Pais
- Clinical Secretariat – Álvaro Gestoso
- SARS-CoV-2 – goldstandard method rRT-PCR by several methods and different genes (RdRP, ORF1, E, and N)
- SARS-CoV-2 – rapid antigen test
- Respiratory viruses – rRT-PCR (Influenza A, Influenza B, RSV)
- Antibody quantitative tests – E.L.I.S.A. for IgG anti-SARS-CoV-2
- Antibody rapid tests – immunocromatography for IgM and IgG anti-SARS-CoV-2
Besides conducting all the process at our facilities (from the biological material collection until the final result) we also receive the biological samples collected elsewhere at our facilities. We may also provide qualified technical staff in order to collect biological samples (rino/orofaringeal sampling, blood collecting, …) at your facilities.
Lab tests explained
Here we provide some information about which test to use in each situation and its interpretation.
Our commitment to healthcare
We have a team prepared to provide high quality results with the least time possible. We have automated equipment for nucleic acid extraction and highly qualified technicians for molecular biology methods.
I am so proud to witness the daily drive of our staff. Their ethical commitment means that they do not just analyze samples, but rather they are concerned with the people ‘behind’ the test tube.
I appreciate your enthusiasm and availability. It is inspiring for our teams.